State of Colorado Residency Qualifications

A student is classified as a resident or nonresident for tuition purposes at the time admission is granted and upon completion of the CSM Colorado Residency for Tuition Classification Form. The classification is based upon information furnished by the student. The student who, due to subsequent events, becomes eligible for resident tuition must make formal application to the Registrar for a change of status. The Petition for In-State Tuition Classification can be found on the Registrar's Office website.

A student who willfully gives wrong information to evade payment of nonresident tuition shall be subject to serious disciplinary action. The final decision regarding tuition status rests with the Tuition Appeals Committee of Colorado School of Mines.

Resident Students

A person whose legal residence is permanently established in Colorado may continue to be classified as a resident student so long as such residence is maintained even though circumstances may require extended absences from the state.

Qualification for resident tuition requires both

  1. proof of adoption of the state as a fixed and permanent home, demonstrating physical presence within the state at the time of such adoption, together with the intention of making Colorado the true home; and
  2. living within the state for 12 consecutive months immediately prior to the first day of classes for any given term.

These requirements must be met by one of the following:

  1. the father, mother, or guardian of the student if an unemancipated minor, or
  2. the student if married or over 22, or
  3. the emancipated minor.

The home of the unemancipated minor is assumed to be that of the parents, or if there is a legal guardian of the student, that of such guardian. If the parents are separated or divorced and either separated or divorced parent meet the Colorado residency requirements, the minor also will be considered a resident. Statutes provide for continued resident status, in certain cases, following parents’ moving from Colorado. Please check Colorado Revised Statutes 1973, 23-7-103(2)(m)(II) for exact provisions. In a case where a court has appointed a guardian or granted custody, it shall be required that the court certify that the primary purpose of such appointment was not to qualify the minor for resident tuition status.

Nonresident Students

To become a resident of Colorado for tuition classification under state statutes, a student must be domiciled in Colorado for one year or more immediately preceding the first day of class for the semester for which such classification is sought. A person must be emancipated before domicile can be established separate from the domicile of the parents. Emancipation for tuition purposes takes place automatically when a person turns 23 years of age or marries.

The establishment of domicile for tuition purposes has two inseparable elements:

  1. a permanent place of habitation in Colorado and
  2. intent to remain in Colorado with no intent to be domiciled elsewhere.

The twelve-month waiting period does not begin until both elements exist. Documentation of the following is part of the petitioning process to document physical presence: copies of rental arrangements, rent receipts, copy of warranty deed if petitioner owns the personal residence property and verification of dates of employment. Documentation of the following is part of the petitioning process to document intent: Colorado drivers license, motor vehicle registration (as governed by Colorado Statute), voter registration, payment of Colorado state income taxes, ownership of residential real estate property in the state (particularly if the petitioner resides in the home), any other factor peculiar to the individual which tends to establish the necessary intent to make Colorado one’s permanent place of habitation.

Nonresident students wishing to obtain further information on the establishment of residency or to apply for resident status should contact the Registrar’s Office. The “Petition for In-State Tuition Classification” is due in the Registrar’s Office by the first day of classes of the term the student is requesting resident status.