Academic Regulations

Graduate School Catalog

It is the responsibility of the graduate student to become informed and to observe all regulations and procedures required by the program the student is pursuing. Ignorance of a rule does not constitute a basis for waiving that rule. The current Graduate Catalog when a graduate student first enrolls, gives the academic requirements the student must meet to graduate. However, with department consent, a student can change to the requirements in a later catalog published while the student is enrolled in the graduate school. Changes to administrative policies and procedures become effective for all students as soon as the campus community is notified of the changes.

The Graduate Catalog is available to students in both print and electronic forms. Print catalogs are updated annually. Electronic versions of the Graduate Catalog may be updated more frequently to reflect changes approved by the campus community. As such, students are encouraged to refer to the most recently available electronic version of the Graduate Catalog. This version is available at the CSM website. The electronic version of the Graduate Catalog is considered the official version of this document. In case of disagreement between the electronic and print versions, the electronic version takes precedence.

Resolution of Conflicting Catalog Provisions

If a conflict or inconsistency is found to exist between these policies and any other provision of the Mines Graduate Catalog, the provisions of these policies shall govern the resolution of such conflict or inconsistency.

Curriculum Changes

The Mines Board of Trustees reserves the right to change any course of study or any part of the curriculum to respond to educational and scientific developments. No statement in this Catalog or in the registration of any student shall be considered as a contract between Colorado School of Mines and the student.

Making up Undergraduate Deficiencies

If the department or division decides that new students do not have the necessary background to complete an advanced degree, they will be required to enroll in courses for which they will receive no credit toward their graduate degree, or complete supervised readings, or both. Students are notified of their apparent deficiency areas in their acceptance letter from the Graduate School or in their first interview with their department advisor. Departments will provide the list of deficiencies to the students no later than one week after the start of classes of their first semester in order to allow them to add/drop courses, as necessary. Grades for these deficiency courses are recorded on the student’s transcript, become part of the student’s permanent record, and are calculated into the overall graduate GPA. Students whose undergraduate records are deficient should remove all deficiencies as soon as possible after they enroll for graduate studies.

Graduate Students in Undergraduate Courses

Students may apply toward graduate degree requirements a maximum of nine (9.0) semester hours of department-approved 400-level course work not taken to remove deficiencies and not taken as a degree requirement for a bachelor's degree upon the recommendation of the graduate committee and the approval of the Graduate Dean.

Students may apply toward graduate degree requirements 300-level courses only in those programs which have been recommended by the department, are not taken to remove deficiencies, are not taken as a degree requirement for a bachelor’s degree and have been approved by the Graduate Council before the student enrolls in the course. In that case a maximum of nine (9.0) total hours of 300- and 400-level courses will be accepted for graduate credit.

Withdrawing from School

To officially withdraw from Mines, a graduate student must submit a Withdrawal from Graduate School form to the Office of Graduate Studies. If the form is submitted by census day, the student will be dropped from all credits and receive a full refund. If the form is submitted after Census Day, the student will receive grades of W in courses in progress and will be charged the amount due at the time of withdrawal (see the Payment and Refund section). If the student does not officially withdraw, the course grades are recorded as F’s and the student will be responsible for the tuition and fees due. Leaving school without having paid tuition and fees will result in the encumbrance of the transcript. Federal aid recipients should check with the financial aid office to determine what impact a withdrawal may have on current or future aid.

Students who leave school without submitting a Withdrawal from Graduate School form, but decide to return at a later date, will need to apply for admission, be re-admitted, and will be charged a $200 re-admittance fee.