In-State Tuition Classification Status

In-State Tuition Classification Status

General Information

The State of Colorado partially subsidizes the cost of tuition for all students whose domicile, or permanent legal residence, is in Colorado. Each Mines student is classified as either an “in-state resident” or a “non-resident” at the time of matriculation. These classifications, which are governed by Colorado law, are based upon information furnished by each student on his or her application for admission to Mines. A student who willfully furnishes incorrect information to Mines to evade payment of non-resident tuition shall be subject to serious disciplinary action.

It is in the interest of each graduate student who is a U.S. citizen and who is supported on an assistantship or fellowship to become a legal resident of Colorado at the earliest opportunity. Typically, students on an assistantship contract that covers tuition and fees will have the non-resident portion of the tuition paid by Mines during their first year of study only. U.S. citizens are expected to obtain Colorado residency status by the end of the first year of study. After the first year of study, these students who do not obtain residency status may be responsible for paying the difference between resident and non-resident tuition. International students on an assistantship contract that covers tuition and fees will have the non-resident portion of the tuition paid by Mines beyond the 1st year.

Requirements for Establishing Residency as a Graduate Student

The specific requirements for establishing residency for tuition classification purposes are prescribed by state law (Colorado Revised Statutes, Title 23, Article 7). Because Colorado residency status is governed solely by Colorado law, the fact that a student might not qualify for in-state status in any other state does not guarantee in-state status in Colorado. The tuition classification statute places the burden of proof on the student to provide clear and convincing evidence of eligibility.

In-state or resident status generally requires two inseparable elements, domicile and intent. Both must be established in Colorado for at least one-year immediately preceding the beginning of the semester in which in-state status is sought. “Domicile” is a person’s true, and permanent home and place of habitation. Intent are the legal ties a person has established to make Colorado their permanent home. As a graduate student, a “qualified person” would be one of the following:

  • A student who has earned their undergraduate degree;
  • OR married for at least one year.

Once a graduate student is considered a "qualified person", they must then begin the one-year domiciliary period. Regardless of what they have done prior. Once a student’s legal residence has been permanently established in Colorado, he or she may continue to be classified as a resident student so long as such residence is maintained, even though circumstances may require extended temporary absences from Colorado.

More information about the requirements for establishing in-state status as a graduate student, as well as deadlines, can be found on the residency website.

In-State Tuition Classification for WICHE Program Participants

WICHE, the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education, promotes the sharing of higher education resources among the participating western states. Under this program, residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming who are enrolled in qualifying graduate programs may be eligible for in-state tuition classification. Current qualifying programs include:

  • Applied Chemistry
  • Environmental Engineering Science
  • Geochemistry
  • Geological Engineering
  • Hydrology
  • Mineral and Energy Economics
  • Petroleum Engineering
  • Underground Construction & Tunnel Engineering

Contact the Office of Graduate Studies for more information about WICHE.