Academic Regulations


The curricula at Colorado School of Mines have been especially designed so that the course work flows naturally from course to course and year to year. Thus, it is important that deficiencies in lower numbered courses be scheduled in preference to more advanced work.


It is the responsibility of each student to make certain that the proper prerequisites for all courses have been met. Registration in a course without the necessary prerequisite may result in dismissal from the class or a grade of F (Failed) in the course.


The Colorado Department of Higher Education specifies a remedial programs policy in which any first-time freshmen admitted to public institutions of higher education in Colorado with ACT (or equivalent) scores of less than 18 in reading or English, or less than 19 in mathematics, are required to participate in remedial studies. At the Colorado School of Mines, these remedial studies will be conducted through required tutoring in Nature and Human Values for reading and writing, and Calculus for Scientists and Engineers I for mathematics, and the consequent achievement of a grade of C or better.

Transfer Credit

In all cases, requests for transfer credit are processed by the Registrar. Credits must be submitted on an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution or if the institution is international, credit is only considered from institutions that are recognized by the Ministry of Education or other official accrediting or recognition body in the country of origin. Credits must be academic in nature. Military, Vocational, CLEP, DSST, and theological credit is not accepted. No credit is granted for internships, co-ops, practicums, life experience courses, Independent Study, precalculus courses below Calculus I such as trigonometry and geometry, and non-calculus based general/introductory Physics courses.

Only courses completed with grades of "C" or better will be considered for acceptance. Credit that is recorded as “pass” “satisfactory” or “credit” at institutions that do not equate this classification to a C or better grade will not transfer.

Departments may stipulate a higher minimum grade.

Credit Conversion

Quarter credits are converted to semester credits upon transfer. This is done by multiplying the quarter credits by 0.67 (i.e. 4 quarter credits x 0.67 = 2.6 semester credits).

European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) credits are converted to semester credits by multiplying ECTS credits by 0.5 (i.e. 2 ECTS x 0.5 = 1 semester credit),

Other international credits are converted to the U.S. semester based system according to national standards set by AACRAO International Education Services.

New Transfer Students

Upon matriculation, a transfer student will receive the prescribed academic credit for courses taken at another institution if these courses are listed in a current articulation agreement and transfer guide between CSM and that institution. When an articulation agreement does not exist with another institution, the transfer student may receive credit for a course taken at another institution upon receipt of a certified copy of the student’s official transcript from the host institution. Courses may be subject to review by the appropriate CSM department head or designate to ensure course equivalency.  Course materials, such as syllabi, exams, and notes may be requested for evaluation. Credits earned more than 10 years in advance of admission will not transfer.

Continuing Students

Students who are currently enrolled at CSM may transfer credit in required courses only in extenuating circumstances, upon the advance approval of the Registrar, the department head of the appropriate course, and the department head of the student’s option/major. Upon return, credit will be received subject to review by the Registrar. Physics courses are subject to post-approval from the department. Forms for this purpose are available in the Registrar’s Office, and the process is reviewed periodically by the Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs (EVPAA).

Returning Students

Students who have matriculated at CSM, withdrawn, applied for readmission and wish to transfer in credit taken at an institution while they were absent from CSM, must obtain approval, upon return, of the department head of the appropriate course, the department head of the student’s option/major, and the Registrar.

Prior Learning Credit

Colorado school of Mines makes no promises to prospective students regarding the acceptance of credit awarded by examination, credit for prior learning, or credit for transfer until these credits have been evaluated for applicability to a degree program. If prior learning credits are approved by Mines, up to a maximum of 56.0 semester hours of prior learning credit may be applied to an undergraduate degree based on course applicability for that degree. 

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB)

Course work completed for select subjects under the Advanced Placement Program in a high school may be accepted for college credit provided that the Advanced Placement Program Test grade is either a 5, 4, or 3 depending on the exam.  See for specific information.

Course work completed for select subjects under the International Baccalaureate Program in high school may be accepted for college credit provided that the International Baccalaureate Program Exam grade in a 4, 5, 6, or 7 on selected standard and higher level exams.  In some cases, departmental approval is required before credit is granted.  More information on which subjects are accepted can be found on the web at

Challenge Exams

Qualified students may complete challenge exams to test out of and receive credit for the following foundational Core courses at Mines. Faculty in each department determine a student's eligibility for sitting for the exams and communicate eligibility requirements to the Registrar for the purposes of communication with the new incoming eligible students.


Incoming students in their first two semesters at CSM may be eligible for challenge exams based on AP scores or other factors as determined by the department offering the exam. 

Challenge exams are provided at the department’s option and discretion.  Departments are not required to provide exams for all introductory and foundational Core courses. 

Students must pass the challenge exam with the equivalent of a “C” grade or better as determined by the department in order to earn credit for the course.  Passed exams are recorded as CSM transfer credit with a grade of “T”.  Challenge exams do not affect the student’s grade point average at CSM.

Departments provide information about students who have passed exams to the Registrar’s Office prior to Census Day in order to make necessary adjustments to the student’s schedule.

Challenge exam credit may not be awarded if it is a repeat of already earned college-level credit.

Students will not be charged tuition but CSM reserves the right to charge an administrative fee to take an exam.  No fees are required at this time.

Additional details about these exams can be found on the relevant department's website. 


Colorado School of Mines is approved by the Colorado State Approving Agency for Veteran Benefits under chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, 1606, and 1607. Undergraduate students must register for and maintain 12.0 credit hours, and graduate students must register for and maintain 9.0 credit hours of graduate work in any semester to be certified as a full-time student for full-time benefits. Any hours taken under the full-time category will decrease the benefits to 3/4 time, 1/2 time, or tuition payment only.

All changes in hours, program, addresses, marital status, or dependents are to be reported to the Veterans Certifying Officer as soon as possible so that overpayment or underpayment may be avoided. Veterans must see the Veteran’s Certifying Officer each semester to be certified for any benefits for which they may be eligible. In order for veterans to continue to receive benefits, they must make satisfactory progress as defined by Colorado School of Mines.

An honorably or generally discharged military veteran providing a copy of his/her DD214 is awarded two credit hours to meet the physical education undergraduate degree requirement at Mines. Additionally, veterans may request substitution of a technical elective for the institution's core EPICS course requirement in all undergraduate degree programs.

Students who have served or are currently serving in the military are eligible for priority registration beginning Summer/Fall 2018.  Proof of service needs to be provided to the Registrar's Office and may include (but is not limited) to a DD-214 for veterans and for active duty personnel current orders or other documents showing active duty status.

For more information, please visit the Veterans Services web page.

Military Credit Policy

Colorado School of Mines reviews the Joint Service Transcript and other military documents for transfer credit on behalf of our newly admitted and first semester active duty military and veteran students. Academic coursework is considered for undergraduate credit from all branches of the military services including the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard.
Credit is considered based on the submission of the Joint Services Transcript and the military form DD214 by the student as part of the student’s admissions application submission. Consideration of credit is guided by the standards set forth in the American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations with final transferability and applicability determined by Colorado School of Mines. All courses will be verified using the Joint Services Transcript.
Only those courses that carry an academic designation will receive consideration for credit. Applicability of credit to a specific degree is determined based on the requirements of that degree. Most approved military credits will be free elective credits and will not be direct equivalents of courses offered at Colorado School of Mines. Be aware that if elective requirements are complete, this may limit the options for course selections during your program. This can be an issue for students who need to keep a full-time course load for GI Bill usage. Each student is encouraged to speak with the VA and Military Specialist in the Registrar’s Office for further information about the regulations surrounding using VA benefits.


Within the guidelines of this policy, veteran students must meet the following criteria to be awarded transfer credit:
  1. Admission to an undergraduate degree program at Colorado School of Mines.
  2. Be a veteran with an honorable or general discharge, an active duty service member, or a member of the Reserves/National Guard.
  3. Provide official military records including the DD214 (if applicable) and the Joint Services Transcript (JST) during the admission process.


A student with military training entering Mines may be eligible for up to 14 semester credit hours depending on their completed military academic coursework. Applicability of transfer credit to graduation requirements will vary depending on the chosen degree.

  1. Up to two credits of Physical Activity

Students with military training who are able to provide a DD214 showing an honorable or general discharge will be awarded 2 credits (equivalent of 4 separate semesters) of physical activity credit. This credit will meet the requirement for the complete Physical Activity Requirement at Mines.

  2. Up to three credits of Design

Depending on the content and duration of training and academic coursework, a veteran or active servicemember may apply to the Engineering, Design and Society Program for consideration of the transcripted JST credit and copy of the DD214 form to be transferred as a portion or all of the required first-level design course. If approved, the student would be awarded either:
  • two semester credits toward the degree and would be required to complete EDNS155 (1 credit) instead of the complete EDNS151 (3 credit) course, or
  • three semester credits toward the degree and the completion of the full EDNS151 (3 credit) course.

  3. Up to nine credits of Free Elective

Courses listed on the JST may be considered for up to a maximum of 9 credit hours of Free Elective. These courses must be academic in nature and not occupational or career-based training. Evaluations are based on ACE recommendations and internal Mines evaluation of coursework.
In all cases, acceptable course credit must be academic in nature and cannot repeat or overlap other courses for which the student has degree credit.

Military and EDNS 151/2XX Exemptions

Students with experience in the military who have a DD214 showing a general or honorable discharge will receive a total of two credit hours in PAGN101, PAGN102, and two semesters of PAGN2XX. This will complete the Physical Activity requirements for the undergraduate degree.

Credit will not be granted for College Level General Educational Development (GED) Tests, United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) courses, American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations, or courses completed at any United States armed services, with the exception of the military academies and schools with full accreditation by a regional accrediting body.  No credit is granted for technical or military programs earned through the Community College of the Air Force or for any course listed on the Joint Service Transcript (JST).

Students who have technical experience outside of the classroom may be eligible to substitute a different technical elective course in place of EDNS251.  In order to pursue this course of action, the student must provide information and materials describing the experience and how it applies to the program to the EDNS program director.  If approved, the student will complete the substitution form and turn it in to the Registrar's Office to be placed in the academic file.

Course Withdrawals, Additions and Drops

Courses may be added or dropped without fee or penalty during the first 11 school days of a regular academic term (first 4 school days of a 6-week field course or the first 6 school days of the 8-week summer term).

Continuing students may withdraw from any course after the eleventh day of classes through the thirteenth week for any reason with a grade of W. After the thirteenth week, no withdrawals are permitted except in cases of complete withdrawal from school or for extenuating circumstances (medical or legal hardship) under the auspices of the Office of Academic Affairs and the Office of the Registrar. A grade of F will be given in courses which are withdrawn from after the deadline without approval.

All adds/drops are initiated in the Registrar’s Office. To withdraw from a course (with a “W”) a student must obtain the appropriate form from the Registrar’s office, have it signed by the instructor and signed by the student’s advisor to indicate acknowledgment of the student’s action, and return it to the Registrar’s Office by the thirteenth week deadline. Refer to the Academic Calendar for specific deadlines.

Approval of a late withdrawal from a course can be given by the Registrar acting on behalf of the Office of Academic Affairs in accordance with CSM’s refund policy, and in compliance with federal regulations. Exceptions to this refund policy may be granted under extraordinary extenuating circumstances. Requests should be initiated in the Bursar's Office. 

Independent Study

For each semester credit hour awarded for independent study a student is expected to invest approximately 25 hours of effort in the educational activity involved. To register for independent study, a student should get from the Registrar’s Office the form provided for that purpose, have it completed by the instructor involved and the appropriate department/ division head, and return it to the Registrar’s Office.

Off-Campus Study

A student must enroll in an official CSM course for any period of off-campus, course-related study, whether U.S. or foreign, including faculty-led short courses, study abroad, or any off-campus trip sponsored by CSM or led by a CSM faculty member. The registration must occur in the same term that the off-campus study takes place. In addition, the student must complete the necessary release, waiver, and emergency contact forms, transfer credit pre-approvals, and FERPA release, and provide adequate proof of current health insurance prior to departure. For additional information concerning study abroad requirements, contact the Office of International Programs at (303) 384-2121; for other information, contact the Registrar’s Office.


Class attendance is required of all undergraduates unless the student has an official excused absence. Excused absences are granted for three general reasons:

  1. Student is a varsity athlete and is representing the School in a varsity athletics activity.
  2. Student is representing the School in an authorized activity related to a club or academic endeavor (academic competitions, student professional society conferences, club sport competition, program-sponsored competitions, etc.)
  3. Student has a documented personal reason (illness, injury, jury duty, life-threatening illness or death in the immediate family, etc.).

Students who miss academic work (including but not limited to exams, homework, and labs) for one of the reasons listed above may be issued an excused absence. If an excused absence is received, the student must be given the opportunity to make up the missed work in a reasonable period of time without penalty. While the student is not responsible for actually issuing the excused absence, the student is responsible for making sure documentation is submitted appropriately and for contacting his/her faculty member(s) to initiate arrangements for making up any missed work.

Varsity Athletics Absences

The Athletics Department will authorize excused absences for all approved varsity athletics related absences. The Athletics Department will send notice of excused absences to faculty members on or before Census Day each semester. The student is responsible for contacting his/her faculty member(s) prior to the absence occurring to initiate arrangements for making up any missed work. The Faculty Oversight Committee on Sports and Athletics oversees the number of excused absences permitted per semester by varsity athletes.

Authorized Activity Absences

The Associate Vice President of Student Life or designee may authorize excused absences upon receipt of proper documentation of the school related activity. All excused absences for school-sponsored activities must be documented with the Associate Vice President of Student Life by Census Day of each semester. If the absence will occur prior to Census Day, then the documentation should be received at least two weeks prior to the absence. Once documentation has been received and approved, the Associate Vice President of Student Life will send notice of excused absences to faculty members. The student is responsible for contacting his/her faculty member(s) prior to the absence occurring to initiate arrangements for making up any missed work.

Requests for excused absence(s) related to an authorized activity received after Census Day may be denied or be documented as an excused/unexcused absence at the discretion of the faculty member.

Personal Reason Absences

The Associate Vice President of Student Life or designee may authorize excused absences upon receipt of proper documentation of the illness, injury, or other incident. The student must provide the documentation to the Associate Vice President of Student Life within one week of returning to class. Once documentation has been received and approved, the Associate Vice President of Student Life will send notice of excused absences to faculty members. The student is responsible for contacting his/her faculty member(s) to initiate arrangements for making up any missed work.

Important Note: Every effort will be made by the faculty to honor all excused absences. However, class attendance is essential for understanding of the material and for learning to take place. Excessive absence, regardless of reason, may result in a reduced or failing grade in the course based on course content and delivery. As content and delivery differ among the faculty and with each class, it is important for a student missing class to discuss the absences, excused or unexcused, with his/her faculty member(s) to determine what will be considered excessive.

Unexcused Absences

All absences that are not documented as excused absences are considered unexcused absences. Faculty members may deny a student the opportunity to make up some or all of the work missed due to unexcused absence(s). However, the faculty members do have the discretion to grant a student permission to make up any missed academic work for an unexcused absence. The faculty member may consider the student's class performance, as well as their attendance, in the decision.

Withdrawal from School

A student may officially withdraw from Mines by contacting the Associate Dean of Students and completing the Complete Withdrawal Request Form available through the Center for Academic Services & Advising (CASA). Completion of the form prior to the last day of scheduled classes for that term will result in W’s being assigned to courses in progress. Failure to officially withdraw will result in the grades of courses in progress being recorded as F’s. Leaving the School without having paid tuition and fees will result in a hold being placed against the transcript. Either of these actions would make future enrollment at CSM or another college more difficult.