4.1 Requirements for Conducting Formal Faculty Searches
Section 4.7, Faculty Handbook – Faculty Appointment Process
The following policy defines the process through which faculty must be employed by the School of Mines. If a formal search process is required, this process is conducted as defined in Section 4.2 of this Procedures Manual.
- Tenure, Tenure Track Faculty: All Tenure and Tenure-Track Faculty positions must be filled through a formal search process.
- Teaching Faculty and Professor of Practice: All Teaching Faculty & Professor of Practice positions must be filled through a formal search process.
- Chaired Visiting Professorships: All chaired visiting professorships must be filled through a formal search process.
- Exempt Positions: All exempt positions expected to last for more than one year must be filled through a formal search process, except in those cases where the position holder brings the full funding. In these cases there can be no commitment, expressed or implied, from the institution.
- Adjunct Positions: Adjuncts can only be hired on a part-time basis (Note: definition of “part-time” is available through the Office of Human Resources) and a formal search is not required, although it may be conducted at the discretion of the Department Head.
- Research Faculty, Postdoctoral Appointments and Non-Chaired Visiting Faculty: Formal searches for research faculty positions and non-chaired visiting positions, whether for teaching or research, are required whenever the appointment is expected to last for more than one year. As initial postdoctoral appointments are normally made for one year, a formal search process for filling a postdoctoral appointment is not required. In cases where the timing of a contract requires expeditious appointment and when an individual has been identified, appointment can be made with an abbreviated search that includes formal consideration by the supervisor, the Department Head, the Dean, and at least two members of the department. Formal review at the end of one year is required for reappointment.
Renewal of all research, non-chaired visiting faculty, and postdoctoral appointments after the first period is subject to satisfactory performance as determined by the department head/division director.
- Department Heads and Deans: The decision on whether or not to conduct external searches for Department Heads, Division Directors, Deans and other administrative positions, when filling from within the department, will be made by the Provost on a case-by-case basis.
October 8, 2020