5.1 Faculty Evaluation Procedure Summary
Section 7, Faculty Handbook – Performance and Evaluation
As defined in the Faculty Handbook, annual performance evaluation is required for all tenured and tenure track faculty, all teaching faculty, all library faculty, and all research faculty holding a named rank. Annual evaluation of the faculty is undertaken in order to:
- Encourage professional development, enhancement, and/or renewal;
- Encourage individual excellence and achievement within a framework of shared and accepted standards of equitable professional judgment;
- Encourage participation in activities that are essential to the missions and goals of the university and its departments and divisions;
- Recognize individuals for providing satisfactory or exemplary performance, or to give appropriate counsel to those individuals whose performance is unsatisfactory through a motivational, rather than demoralizing process;
- Document performance: (a) for use in academic planning, programmatic review, and other internal activities, (b) for consideration, along with other pertinent information, in personnel decisions regarding salary, retention, promotion, and/or tenure, and (c) for use in preparing university documents for external reports.
- Set individual faculty goals.
All faculty members defined above must complete a Faculty Data Report Narrative (FDRN) annually. The schedule for completing the FDRN is provided by Academic Affairs, as part of the Academic Affairs calendar. Typically, the completion date by which faculty must submit FDRNs to their Department Heads is sometime during the early portion of the Spring semester.
The FDRN template is available online on the Academic Affairs website. Note, that Departments, working with Portfolios and individual faculty will provide and verify institutional data (e.g., courses taught, enrollment, students advised, students graduated, research funding) for each faculty member from which the narrative is to be constructed.
The evaluation template that the Department Head may use can be found online on the Academic Affairs website. After completion of all departmental evaluations, Department Heads submit all FDRNs and the evaluation forms to their respective Dean. Both the faculty data report and the evaluation form should be submitted with original signatures. The Deans shall advise the Provost of any faculty who receives overall evaluations of “needs improvement” or “unsatisfactory.”
December 20, 2019