8.2 Mines Teaching Award (Teaching Faculty)
The purpose of the award is to recognize superior teaching at the undergraduate level over a period of several years and to provide encouragement and incentive for teaching achievement. Any teaching faculty member with significant experience teaching at the undergraduate level at Mines shall be eligible for nomination.
Nominations should be created with input from faculty members, students, alumni and others who are knowledgeable of the Mines' community and the criteria for the award. Nomination letters should be no more than two pages in length, and must include the following components:
- A statement introducing the nominee and touching upon the nominee’s overall merits,
- a statement of teaching and pedagogical activities, innovations, excellence and recognitions,
- a table of courses taught by the nominee over the past three years.
The recommended format for the table referred to in item three above is provided below.
Academic Year: XXXX
|Course Number||Percent Effort for Course||Course Title and Hours||Average Teaching Evaluation Score||Number of Students||Comments on Course Development and Innovations, Student Assessment, etc.|
Besides the materials above, all nomination materials must also include:
- A short-form CV is required for the nominee (five pages or less) focusing on appropriate materials,
- Department Head evaluations for the previous three years,
- letters of support from colleagues and students, and
- any other supplemental materials deemed relevant.
The file should be submitted as a single pdf and be less than 20 pages total.
Each award consists of a plaque and $2,500 deposited into a faculty member’s professional development account.
June 29, 2023