8.6 Faculty Excellence Award
The purpose of the award is to recognize a full-time tenured or tenure-track Colorado School of Mines academic faculty member who has demonstrated, during the immediately preceding calendar years, significant and meritorious achievement in teaching and scholarship. The following factors will be considered:
- Unusual achievement that contributes significantly to the quality of the students' classroom learning experience.
- Application of high standards for both the rigor and currency of course content and for the level of student performance with respect to these standards.
- Publication of high-quality, original scholarly works in nationally recognized and externally refereed professional journals.
- The potential significance of these contributions to the enhancement of the effectiveness of subject content in the classroom.
Nomination letters should be no more than two pages in length, and must include the following components:
- A statement introducing the nominee and touching upon the nominee’s overall merits,
- a statement highlighting significant achievement in teaching by the criteria defined above, and
- a statement highlighting significant achievement in scholarship by the criteria defined above.
Besides the materials above, all nomination materials must also include:
- A short-form CV is required for the nominee (five pages or less) focusing on appropriate materials,
- Department Head evaluations for the previous three years,
- letters of support from colleagues and students, and
- any other supplemental materials deemed relevant.
The file should be submitted as a single pdf and be less than 20 pages total.
The award consists of a plaque and $4,000 deposited into a faculty member’s professional development account.
June 29, 2023