8.5 Alfred E. Jenni Faculty Fellowship
The Alfred E. Jenni Faculty Fellowship will be awarded to a Colorado School of Mines faculty member, as defined in the Faculty Handbook, who will make institution-wide contributions in teaching effectiveness and educational scholarship during the one-year period of the award. The recipient will have meritorious experience in educational program development and will have a vision of how that experience can be brought to bear in institution-wide enhancements in education.
The following factors will be considered in selecting the Alfred E. Jenni Faculty Fellow:
- A track record of scholarship in educational research and development pertinent to the mission of the School;
- A reputation among students for strong dedication and concern toward their learning; and
- A vision of how, as the Alfred E. Jenni Faculty Fellow, the individual will contribute to institution-wide enhancements in education, and how this vision can be translated into viable actions.
With the exception of the candidate CV, nomination letters should be no more than two pages in length, and must include of the following components:
- a statement introducing the nominee and touching on the nominee’s overall merits,
- a statement providing selected evidence of a track record in educational research and development,
- a statement providing a brief overview of how the individual plans to contribute to institution-wide enhancements in teaching effectiveness and educational scholarship, and
- a candidate CV.
If requested by the Awards Committee, full dossiers for the candidate must include the following components:
- all nomination materials listed above,
- Department Head evaluations for the previous three years,
- letters of support from colleagues and students that indicate a strong dedication and concern toward learning, and
- a detailed project plan (five pages maximum) provided by the candidate that includes project description, milestones and deliverables.
If awarded, the period of the Fellowship will extend from the beginning of the Fall semester to the end of the next Summer. During that period the Faculty Fellow will be expected to contribute in a variety of ways, including, for example, interact with the Center for Teaching and Learning Effectiveness, participate in the New Faculty Orientation, interact with faculty who are launching new teaching initiatives or who are seeking advice, and interact with the campus at-large in curriculum and pedagogical development. The Faculty Fellow will demonstrate a scholarly approach to this effort, leading to publication in appropriate educational literature.
The Alfred E. Jenni Faculty Fellow will receive a compensation award of one ninth of the base salary, payable either within the Academic Year or during the Summer of the one-year period of the Fellowship. This will not contribute to the base for the purpose of computing summer salary and is not intended to provide release from regular academic duties.
March 23, 2015